BeautyBlender vs. Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge

BeautyBlender - $20
Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge - $6

A few years ago, beautyblender created a pink egg shape sponge that was to be the next best thing for applying foundation and it took the b/vlogging world by storm and became one of the most popular foundation applicators in a short amount of time and for a long amount of time.

Both of these sponges are a small size when dry and you run the product under water as it doubles up in size and squeeze out all the excess water until it's just damp. You don't want the sponges to be filled with loads of water.


The original beautyblender is a sponge that looks the most like an egg. The original comes in pink, but now the brand has come out with more colours like white, purple, and their "pro" colour: black.

I'm not a huge fan of using this to apply foundation. I find that it sheers out the foundation way too much and just turns it into a tinted moisturizer. Instead, I use this as a final touch to my foundation routine when there are areas that are too dry and have turned flakey.



The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge is one of the many cheaper alternatives in the market and seems to be the most popular out of all the cheaper ones available.

Unlike the beautyblender, its colour is orange and while it has the egg-like shape, one side of it is completely flat. The flat side is meant to be used for bigger surfaces on the face whereas the smaller tip is for the smaller and hard to get to areas.

Just like the beautyblender, I'm not a fan of using this for applying foundation. I use this to smooth out any areas I feel are still too dry and flakey.

The texture is this is much stranger, but it's not something you notice until you wash it. When washing it, it feels very slimey and it kinds of weirds me out, but it's not a deal breaker in any way.

Which one do I prefer? Really, both sponges do the exact same thing. One is not better than the other except for the price, which Real Techniques wins that round. This works just as well as the beautyblender. When I need to replace a sponge, I see no reason why I would need to spend $20 on a sponge when the $6 one works just as well.

8 comments:

  1. i have a beauty blender and i'm not a huge fan of it either, thought i was the only one!

    xx fameliquorlove // bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been able to get any sponges or the beauty blender to work well, much prefer using a brush!

    Rebecca Coco

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only have the RT sponge so I can't compare. It does sheer out foundations a lot. I only use my RT sponge when I'm using quite thick textured foundations though.

    x
    http://anestofquiet.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually love using a beauty blender try using MAC Fix+ spray on it, it works really well <3
    KKKIRANXOXO
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually really like the coverage the beauty blender gives, as it sheers my Mac studio fix out slightly!
    http://xprincessjas.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. even I cant somehow get myself to use sponges more than brushes for applying foundations...
    missprettypink.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like beauty blender for its coverage
    www.fineartandyou.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. A few years ago, beautyblender created a pink egg shape sponge that was to be the next best thing for applying foundation and it took the ... 2beautyblender.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I typically respond via Twitter since Blogger doesn't notify others of replies. Leave your Twitter username in your comment so I can get back to you. Feel free to leave your blog link as a signature, but please do not ask me to follow4follow or to follow back just because you followed me.