REVIEW: Too Faced Chocolate Soleil

Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer - $30

I'll let you in on a little secret: I've been playing with makeup since summer of 2009 and I never really tried bonzer or contouring until now.

I know this surprised quite a few people on my social networking websites, but it's the truth. Contouring was something that never interested me, and I was afraid of things being too dark, too orange, etc., and that I would mess it up a lot and look ridiculous, so I just left it alone.

That all kind of changed when I ended up being Caroline's model for a thing at Sephora and one of the items she was required to use was a bronzer and she had to contour with it. She ended up using the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil (in Medium/Deep) on me and I ended up liking it, so I exchanged my Benefit Rockateur for this bronzer.


Chocolate Soleil is a matte bronzer used for contouring and warming up the face and it's "meant" for those with medium to deeper skintones, but I'm not of medium skintone and I have some makeup loving friends that are lighter than me and use this as well.Too Faced has a lighter version of this bronzer called the Milk Chocolate Soleil.


I couldn't decide which photo to use, so I'll use both.

FYI, the camera unfortunately washes out the colour a little bit in photos. It turned out like that in all of the pictures I took of this bronzer.

I've applied this bronzer with two brushes: the Real Techniques Contour brush and the Duo Fiber Contour Brush from the same brand. Both work pretty well, but I think the Duo Fiber is a lot easier to use since it picks up less. I also use the Make Up For Ever Kabuki Brush to buff out the bronzer if I need to and then I'll go back with the Duo Fiber if I want to add more, and repeat.

With Real Techniques Contour Brush.

With Real Techniques Duo Contour Brush.

Wearing Chocolate Soleil in my January Hits & Misses video.

Since this is my first bronzer/contouring product, I can't tell you how Chocolate Soleil compares to other bronzers out there. It's pretty easy for me to apply and buff out. I found it looked better with a duo fiber brush rather than something more dense, like the regular Contour Brush from Real Techniques. With the regular Contour Brush, I thought it looked just a little more patchy.

Overall, I like this bronzer so far. I have to admit, now I'm a little bit, just a little bit, obsessed with contouring and I'm going to continue to practice with it. I don't notice a difference in my face at all when I use it, but it's something new to experience in my makeup routine

RELATED QUESTION: If you contour, what product do you use for contouring?

10 comments:

  1. I've been tempted to pick up this one at Sephora but I don't really need more than one bronzer, since I barely use the one I have. I like to (try to) countour with Naked 2 and tiny bit of Faint from the Naked Basics palette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate soleil was one of those "hmmmm maybe I should get it, maybe not" kind of products for a while. I think I just may be sold on purchasing it though!

    Contouring was never really an interest until recently for me, either. I thought of it as "hey I have sorta high cheekbones so I don't need to contour," but it makes a really nice difference when I do. I started "seriously" playing around with makeup maybe 3ish years ago... so around 2010, about the same time frame :P

    I think this video might help you, cause it helped a lot for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKz_2ScmjUs
    She's using the NARS Ita brush, which I heard is pretty similar to the Benefit stock brushes in their blush/bronzers. I'm using the mini one that came with my mini Hoola bronzer to "map out" the contour in the cheeks and a RT duo fiber contour brush to blend out most of the bronzer.

    Anyway I feel like this comment is too long and I'm not sure how to end this obnoxiously long comment so peace out n___n

    xx becky / star-violet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the video! I'm going to watch it now.

      Delete
  3. My makeup hmm.. addiction? Nah, hobby? Love? My love for makeup exploded on 2009 as well :) So I bought this bronzer around 2009-2010 and as you know I still have it and haven't hit pan on it yet (although the pan is starting to show through, finally!) I've used other bronzers but I like this one a lot because it's matte but very easy to blend and it smells delicious. I like the newer packaging. It's a bronzer I would repurchase.
    I used to only contour for special occasions or when I felt bloated, but I've been converted after seeing several candid pictures of myself and seeing what a huge difference it makes. Now I feel like my face is "blah" without some shaping. I literally contour every time I do my makeup now. Even for school :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started contouring every single day I wear makeup since buying it. :x

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a great product!
    Great video also!
    Ellie,xx
    Elephant stories and more

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got into contouring last year! My favorites are the Tarte Amazonian Clay Park Avenue Princess and the Sleek contour kit :) I really want to try out the Milk Chocolate next!

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buy I have no idea what I'd be doing if I tried contouring- I've only had it on my face once, on my wedding day. I wonder if I went into a sephora and asked for help if they could suggest something and demo it on me? I have Park Ave Princess from Tarte in the b,use palette they had for Xmas...but yeah.... Just soooo clueless! Thanks for recommending that brush though, I think I need a duo fiber brush in my life. <3

    blushingbiddies.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practice makes perfect, and that's why there are tutorials on YouTube!

      Delete
  7. I love it on you! I also use Too Faced's Chocolate Soleil bronzer to contour. It's a bit light for me, but I love being able to build it up. I also love Tarte's Park Ave. Princess (in the matte formula since they have one with shimmer with the exact same name), Benefit's Hoola (which is similar to Park Ave Princess), NYC's Sunny (which is a bit orange, but not very orange on me) & MAC's Harmony blush :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I typically respond via Twitter since Blogger doesn't notify others of replies. Leave your Twitter username in your comment so I can get back to you. Feel free to leave your blog link as a signature, but please do not ask me to follow4follow or to follow back just because you followed me.