REVIEW: MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot - Soft Ochre

20 January 2014

MAC Pro Longwear Paint Soft in Soft Ochre - $20

MAC is, by far, probably the most popular makeup brand on the market. All you hear and read about these days is MAC this, MAC that. MAC collections coming out left and right like it's the end of the world.

I've only tried a few eyeshadows, lipsticks, lipglosses, a blush (Well, before I had also purchased the Extra Dimension Skinfinish in Fairly Precious from the Magnetic Nude collection with this Paint Pot), and three brushes (but I only own two) from them, so I decided that I wanted to explore what else was there in the MAC world.

Why not start with one of their cult classics, a Paint Pot?

Paint Pots are what you would call an eyeshadow base or an eyeshadow primer. They're the same thing, just with a fancier name. They're supposed to keep your eyeshadows on longer, look better, even out your skintone on your eyelids, etc, and since they're now in a Pro Longwear formula, they're supposed to last even longer than the original.


I went back and forth between Painterly and Soft Ochre for days, and I continued to go back and forth when I was at the counter. Finally, with a little help that seemed to take ages to find at the Nordstrom counter, I went with my original choice: Soft Ochre.

Unlike Painterly, which is more of a pink base, Soft Ochre is much more yellow and is supposed to counteract the redness and purple colour on the skin. 

The good is that this Paint Pot was smooth to the touch, it covered all the discolouration on my eyelid, made my eyeshadow colours look nice, and seemed to make my shadows blend really well and everything looked nice after I was finished with my eye makeup.

Unfortunately, that's where the good stops.

Without a primer, which is what MAC (and probably 95% of the makeup b/vlogging world) claims you don't need, my shadows lasted four to five hours on their own and the creasing party started. Two hours later, my eye makeup had practically gone to hell. With a primer (various ones on different days, even), the lasting power wasn't much better. It lasted perhaps another hour before, again, the eye makeup went to hell.

I purchased a Paint Pot since I have been having issues with eyeshadow primers lately, and Paint Pots were the most popular with people with oily eyelids, like Nikkie who swears by this Paint Pot and uses this in 99% of her videos, but it just fell flat with me.

Fortunately, a YouTube friend of mine bought the Paint Pot from me so I was able to get some of my money back since I wasn't driving another hour or so back to Nordstrom to return it.

RELATED QUESTION: Do you own/Have you tried a MAC Paint Pot, whether in the original formula or the Pro Longwear Formula? What did you think of it?

3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to get Painterly to use to even out my eyelids without a primer but I'm not sure it'd work on my oily eyelids and I don't wanna waste my money =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's odd that this didn't work for mine since so many oily skin people love this.

      Delete