REVIEW: em michelle phan Lash Gallery Dramatic Volume Waterproof Mascara

em michelle phan Lash Gallery Dramatic Volume Waterproof Mascara - $20

Of all makeup brands available now, the one brand that I would have zero interest in is em michelle phan, or any brand that Michelle has created, really. Being involved with YouTube and blogging since 2009, and having had been a fan of Michelle once, I know about the scandals that have happened with IQQU, Ipsy, whatever else that has been a part of her, so really, one has every right to be skeptical.

My friend, Taylor, recently sent me a package filled with makeup goodies and, hey, if you send me something and I'm not paying for it, I'll try it!


The brand claims that the "uniquely designed spoon brush "cups" and quickly builds lashes with rich color and volume" and like with any makeup brand that makes such a claim about mascara, I like to say they're pulling a "special snowflake syndrome" out of their bums.

The brush itself looks almost exactly like the Maybelline The Falsies Black Drama Waterproof, just without the bendy and flimsy part of the wand. Also, the spoon itself looks very different in person than it does on the website. From what I know, the brand's swatches and photos seem to be quite different than what the actual product is in real life.

I don't like it when brands try to deceive the customers, let's just get that clear.


I've used the mascara about three times now and I don't get a lot of volume with this mascara, but then again, I don't get a ton of volume with any mascara claiming to be dramatic and voluminous. Instead, I get either natural looking lashes or a clumping party with a handful of lashes being stuck together.

For me, this works better as a mascara for the bottom lashes. I still get many of the clumps on my bottom lashes, but since the applicator is smaller than those on my other mascaras, and it's not as bendy and filmsy, I can get a steady hold on it and put on the mascara without getting a bunch of smudges on my lower lash line.

Even though it's a waterproof mascara, it isn't a total pain to take off, which I think is great. I've been using Benefit They're Real! mascara as well and that's a non-waterproof mascara and is much harder for me to take off. Lash Gallery will require a little bit of makeup remover, but it shouldn't be a huge fuss.

For $20, I don't think this is a must have mascara by any means and considering Michelle's fanbase consists of girls mostly under the age of eighteen, I'm quite shocked that her prices are so high since middle and high school students don't have a lot of money to spend on makeup unless it's being provided by their parents.

Overall, this is a decent mascara depending on your needs and it isn't terrible, but I don't think it's priced correctly. This isn't anything an $8 mascara from the drugstore can't do.

RELATED QUESTION: Have you tried the makeup from Michelle Phan's new makeup brand?

8 comments:

  1. Lol, you basically summarized in two lines the reasons why I'm not remotely interested in any em makeup.

    What mascaras do you love from the drugstore? I'm currently trying the L'Oreal Telescopic and it's kind of a love/hate. I've run out of mascaras so once I use up Telescopic I'll be getting a different one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brand Prestige has never disappointed me!

      Delete
  2. I've never tried the Em products since I don't live in the states, but even if I were able to get my hands on them, I don't think I would, they really look overpriced!

    reportingfromtaiwan.blogspot.tw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They honestly do, and it's really disappointing seeing as how majority of her subscribers are younger than me, and I'm 22!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this review. I like Michelle's Youtube videos, but I am not interested in the EM products. Not because of her, but just because they seem way overpriced. And I agree, drugstore mascaras FTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, basically. Higher end mascaras do the job, and I've liked a few I've tried, but why bother spending $20 on a mascara when I've had great luck with ones that cost $6?

      Delete
  4. great review, it's good that you've been so honest too!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely! I can't deal with that fabricated nonsense in reviews.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I typically respond via Twitter since Blogger doesn't notify others of replies. Leave your Twitter username in your comment so I can get back to you. Feel free to leave your blog link as a signature, but please do not ask me to follow4follow or to follow back just because you followed me.